Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Day on the Harbor


Our lovely summer weather continues so we headed on down to the harbor this morning and enjoyed the sights and smells of being near the water. We went on a quick harbor cruise over to Coronado Island. When we got back we were lured in by a bicycle suri driver and he took us back to Seaport Village. The kids thought that was way cooler than walking back. At the village we rode on a carousel and then had lunch down by the water. There are many perks to living in San Diego. Sometimes you have to be more like a tourist to find them.
More ant misadventures last night. I came in to the kitchen about 15 minutes before piano started yesterday afternoon and found ants all over the kitchen sink. The one place they haven't been. I followed their trail and found them in my cupboard where I keep a lot of my cooking stuff. On a closer look I found hundreds of them inside the waffle iron. I grabbed it, put it in the sink and started running water over it only to remember that one shouldn't get waffle irons wet. Oh well. It was covered in ants. It looked like it was moving. So Noah was sucking ants up with the vacuum and I was trying to wash off all the dishes to make sure they were ant free. I called Damon who was told he needed to come home immediately. I cancelled my piano lessons and continued to clean. Dinner was not going to be cooked in my kitchen so we decided to head out. It was 6pm. I glanced up at my pantry cupboards when we were walking out and saw ants on the door. Another hour was spent taking all the food out of the pantry and taking care of those ants. Much anger and frustration. So by 7pm we were all pretty hungry and annoyed. I had been meaning to go through the pantry and clean it out so I guess the ants were just motivating me to do that. The ant guy came out today (which is why we were out all morning) and sprayed again. Hopefully we won't see them again, but I am not holding my breathe. So all my dishes and cookware are on the counter tops in the kitchen and all my pantry food is on my kitchen table. We are having sandwiches for dinner tonight.

Also yesterday the boys and I were riding our bike around Miramar Lake and Noah crashed. I didn't take any pictures, silly me, but you can see some of the damage in the pictures from today's field trip.

3 comments:

jlk said...

We had an ant problem as well. It took a couple of times of the spray guys to get rid of them.

Heather said...

how do I sign my children up for these field trips! You guys are hitting all of the hot spots!

Julie and Pete said...

I'm jealous but you already knew that! It would have been fun to go with you. I hear your anger and frustration. Had a similar issue not too long ago! As Elder Wirthilin wrote, "Come what may and love it." I promise I'm not being cheeky. When I look back it's like you said. The ants got you to do what you wanted to do anyway, right? At least that's what I keep telling myself about the kids......