Sunday, January 4, 2009

The New Year, & some of the old...


Updike Reunion 2008/9
We have been happily busy with life the past week. On the 29th of December my family came down to San Diego (that's a nice change) and went to the New Children's Museum. The kids loved the rock wall and the pillow fight room. We came over to our house after that and played at Jerabek park. Dinner was fun, but a little crowded. It was nice when the family festivities were done for the day that we didn't have to drive home.

During all the holiday merry making we had a baby blessing (Dec 28th) where our new nephew was blessed. It was nice to finally be all together for that special occasion. My dad was all excited to have his 4 granddaughters together. The youngest one actually looks more like my baby pictures than my own kids do. She was so cute and I loved spending some time with her. We haven't seen my brother's family since she joined it. (look pookie, your on my blog!)

Lily has been sick off and on for a month so we have been lying low. Noah was able to go to Redlands with his cousins. We drove up for New Year's Eve and stayed there until the 2nd. The kids brought in the New Year from 8-9pm with smores in the fire pit, crackers (not the food), a game of Disney Scene It, and watching the ball drop. Then they went to bed. The adult food came out with fun drinks and lots of calories. We played games all night and watched the ball drop at midnight.

My new year started with a 6.1 mile run at 7:30am. It was hard and I really thought I would die or stop or walk, but the person I ran with is kind of a zealot and kept me going. We finished it in 51.04 minutes. His goal for me was sub 50 minutes, but the last half mile or so I really slowed down. During the run he kept telling me the distance and I was all excited when he said 4.1 until later when I realized he was telling me distances in kilometers and not miles. That was a bit of a blow, but I still finished. I was dead the rest of the day. We just played at my sister's for the rest of the weekend and ate lots of food. Damon joined my sister, brother in law and the zealot on a bike ride to Huntington Beach on the 2nd. He was dead the rest of the day after they got back. Thanks to my sister and brother in law for hosting all of us at her house. We had fun.
I wish school was starting for us like the rest of you, but alas, We still have 3 weeks left of break. I am sure there will be posts about it later.

Picture of Damon's Parents and us from Christmas Eve


Here are our pictures from our ant field trip.










4 comments:

Julie and Pete said...

It sounds like you've had a good holiday break so far. The family pics turned out great!

Kelly Mo said...

I can't believe Pookie is old enough to have a kid!

Heather said...

How fun - I hate when it all ends and we are back to real life again!

Jenny Updike said...

Oh how fun, I should just copy and paste your blog, then people will think I am a fabulous runner.

I am so glad you enjoy you new little niece, we like her a lot too! Thanks for all the great pictures!