Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Olympics


What are the Olympics? Is it the ultimate test of the world's most elite athletes? Maybe. Is it the world's biggest competition? Sort of. What the Olympics means to our family is unity. We sat around and cheered on the Americans. We also cheered on all the other athletes. We were sad with tumbles, falls, flipped bobsleds, and bad skiing conditions. We were touched by the stories of perseverance and hardship. We learned more about curling and Nordic skiing. Damon and I also lost lots of sleep during the games. Did we enjoy them? Yes. Can we wait for the next one in Sochi, Russia? Yes, but we are sure glad there is another one in two years.

My kids favorite Olympic moment... Shawn White and snowboarding. My favorite moment...watching the Canadian figure skater win bronze after her mother had passed away a few days before. Damon's favorite moment...discovering curling. He is so hooked now.

The Olympics mean different things to different people, but it is a time where borders, country histories or present feelings are all put aside while the torch (which was amazing) is lit.

3 comments:

Keira said...

I love watching the speed skating. The track is so shiny!

And we too lost a ton of sleep. I need a Tivo.

Chris and Dianne Clan said...

Ty is the only one who watched with me. He LOVED the snowboarding too. Maybe by the next games the younger kids will be more interested. Hayes just doesn't really like sports...that's so strange since he is a Shoff! I LOVE the figure skating, NOT the ice dancing. I just don't get it!

Heather said...

I agree the Olympics are amazing and so fun to watch!

Your last post on Motherhood was my life to a T last night getting home! I am ready for another vacation!