Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Field Trip Wednesday!?

First and foremost we need to send a shout out to all of those military who have served or are serving our country. Thank you for all you do!


Secondly, I am sick. A head cold which feels like it is quickly becoming a chest cold. Love it. If this is the only sickness I get this year I will be glad.

With a day off from school on Wednesday we decided to go on our field trip today instead of on Thursday. I rearranged my piano schedule so we had the majority of the day off. YEA! Today we decided to tackle two more of the California Missions.

We left around 9:30am and drove up to San Juan Capistrano. It was hard going all the way up to the OC and not going to Disneyland, but some how I survived. Actually, I asked the kids if they wanted to go to Disneyland and they said no, that they wanted to go to the missions (who's kids are those). We met up with my parents and my two nieces at the mission after we explored the area and found a park to play at.
The mission was huge. I don't even think we saw all of it. The gardens were beautiful and there were so many architectural cool things about it. It is a photographers dream. Unfortunately, Damon doesn't get Veteran's Day off so he wasn't with us. We enjoyed our time there. They had some really cool fountains with big fish in them that kept trying to nibble the kids fingers. They also have this 300 year old back wall in the apse area of the chapel that was sent over from Spain. Walking in and seeing it took my breathe away.

We ate a picnic lunch at a park that we just found around the corner from the mission. At the park there was a giant Christmas tree all decorated. That was kind of fun. It was a nice day for an alfresco lunch.


We drove back down to Oceanside after lunch and stopped at the mission, San Luis Rey. It is known as the King of the missions since it is the largest. Unfortunately the largest does not mean the most available to the public. The mission was mostly closed to the public and we were only able to tour the chapel and the cemetery. They also have the oldest pepper tree that was planted in the 1800's.



It was a fun field trip for the kids and for the adults. I am so glad that I am able to do this with my minions who I love so much. They are fun to be around most of the time.

3 comments:

Julie and Pete said...

I'm glad you had such a fun trip. What's wrong with his hair?????

MBlairsLars said...

Hope you feel better. I'm sad that Ethan won't be studying the missions.

Heather said...

The Mission is always a fun place to take the kiddies! how are you feeling after the run?