Saturday, January 9, 2010

3rd week of break

The first two weeks of Christmas break always fly by. We have family in town. Then there is Christmas and New Year's and lots of cousins to visit. The last two weeks is when I have to put on my cruise director hat and entertain the troops. We have been off doing some stuff this past week.


Monday we had to run errands, Costco, (out of snacks and such) where we probably spent way to much money. We then went over to our neighbor's house to jump on their new trampoline. The pictures are blurry because the kids are in motion not because I don't know what I am doing.

Tuesday we hit Balboa Park and their free museums. We went to the Science center and learned about motion. We went to the railroad museum and saw the Lego city display. We had a picnic lunch at the fountain, which wasn't turned on, and then headed into the Natural History Museum. We watched the pendulum knock over some wood blocks as well as walked through the new Darwin exhibit.

Wednesday we headed to Miramar lake without Lily, who I felt needed to go back to school, and got some exercise. The boys did great. They rode the 5 miles around the lake in 50 minutes. They had to go slow and keep stopping to wait for their mom who was always running behind them. Next we need to walk the 5 miles with backpacks so we can start preparing for our 10 mile hike in Zion's.

Thursday we did go back to the lake and walked 3 miles with heavy backpacks on. Well, I didn't wear one, but the boys did. It was hard for them, but they pushed through and did a great job. We got ice cream later to celebrate surviving.


Friday was a big day for us. We headed back up to L.A. (I have decided I really don't like going there) and went to the La Brea Tar Pits. Noah was so excited when I told him where we were going. I didn't know he had wanted to go there so badly. He was so helpful that morning. The tar pits were fun and we really enjoyed the museum out there. It was weird to be standing in the middle of a grass field and have it smell like road work. We were done there by 12:15pm and I really didn't want to go home yet so we headed south and stopped at Disneyland.


It was a nice time despite the bad parking and shuttle arrangements which I am trying to forget about. We left at 6pm. That was a bad idea. The traffic was horrible. Even the carpool lane was slow. We kept trying to find a place to get off the freeway and eat dinner and ever off ramp I went on there was nothing there. It was a bit discouraging. One would think you can find a McD's off any exit of a major freeway, but not in Orange County. They must be above such things. We did finally find a Jack in the Box an hour after we left. We did make it home finally and the kids had a great day. They thought it was cool to have a double field trip.
Lily started ballet today. She was so great today. I loved getting her ready in her ballet stuff and putting her hair in a bun. Her teacher seems great and says already that Lily has some talent. I don't think I will inform the instructor about how often she falls down or runs into walls. That doesn't sound to graceful.
It's been a busy week. Only one more left before the kids go back to school. (YEA!)

2 comments:

MBlairsLars said...

The Afualo's are always on the go! You really are a great Mom! It was so fun to see you. Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to see me. I can't wait to come back again in June! You have inspired me to get back in shape...starting Monday. Love you guys, give the family a big hug from me, and tell Damon he is the best!

Kelly Mo said...

I need to come live with you during your winter break. Lots of fun things to do! We only had 2 weeks and are already back to the school grind. Enjoy your last week!