Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dinner #9

Tonight's dinner was good.  I think it would have been better had I not missed a step in the directions.  It didn't affect the food at all, but most likely taste.  We all enjoyed it, but we usually enjoy most types of Mexican food. 

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Fajitas


1 pork boneless loin roast (2 1/2 lb), trimmed of fat 
 
2 tablespoons fajita seasoning (from 3-oz container)
1 cup Old El Paso® Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
1 bag (1 lb) frozen stir-fry bell peppers and onions, thawed (I used fresh ones)
2 packages (11.5 oz each) Old El Paso® flour tortillas for burritos (16 tortillas), warmed
2 cups shredded Mexican-style taco cheese (8 oz)
1 cup sour cream, if desired
1. Place pork in 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with fajita seasoning. Top with salsa. (ya, that's the step I left out) Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.

·         2. Remove pork from cooker; place on cutting board. Shred pork using 2 forks; return pork to cooker and mix well. Stir in stir-fry vegetables. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 30 minutes longer or until mixture is hot and vegetables are tender.
 
3. Using slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup meat mixture in each warm tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with sour cream.  

Serve with tortilla chips, and guacamole.  Leftover meat can be frozen. 

I also spent a great deal of time in the morning working on a Valentine's Day treat for the kids.  It was fun trying to figure it out since I had never made stuff like this before.  It was a 3 step process.  Make cupcakes... Lily and I managed to do that Wednesday night when all the boys were at scouts.  Make butter cream filling... not so hard once I figured out a recipe for it.  I even dyed it pink for V-day.  Make the frosting... I've been using this homemade chocolate frosting recipe for a couple years and we all love it.  I spiced it up a bit for today by adding a touch of almond extract.  Yum!  I even piped it on the cupcakes instead of just spreading it like I normally do.  It was way fun, but boy was the kitchen a mess afterwards.  At least the kids and Damon enjoyed it.

No comments: