Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Real Story behind 'A Trip to the Homeland'

Hi all. Yes, I have given in to the blogging fad, mostly motivated by the need to fill in some little details (ie tell the whole truth) that my wonderful wife may have missed due to her post-vacation euphoric state (is there such a thing?? I think it is commonly known as jet lag). Now in doing so, I am in no way inferring that anyone is willingly and knowingly trying to deceive. What I am really sharing is my perspective and maybe even (watch out now).......my feelings, about the events that have recently transpired. The real irony about this whole thing is that I am feeling more enthusiasm about this blog than the more noble undertaking of writing in my journal about things that truly matter. Oh well, such is life. Now, the good stuff....

Before I continue, let it be known that we had a wonderful time during our family vacation and that is truly how I feel about it. Although challenging, it was great to have Noah, Adam and Lily with us to experience it all. Lily may not remember much but I am sure that Noah and Adam have lasting memories. Words cannot express how thankful I am that we were able to go with Mom and Dad. I could have driven around the islands all day listening to their stories about the villages we were passing by.

Below are just some small stand-out snippets that merit publication. Again, remember that this is the 'real story' so I am compelled to tell the good, the bad and the ugly (although it does not mean that I will because the consequences may be severe).

'United we.....wait?'
When United Airlines says that they have a 45-min check-in cut-off - they mean it. We found this out the hard way as unanticipated delays from the long term parking garage at LAX resulted in us getting to the check-in line just a few minutes late. The UA rep indicated that we were too late and we would have to get in another line to try and get on a later flight - not they way to start a trip. Fortunately for us, someone was watching over us and the UA rep came back to us later and was able to get us on our original flight. I'd like to think it was my 1k UA rewards status that got us on, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it was Rachel's vocal disapproval of the situation that got us back on track.

(Dis)-Advantage Rent-A-Car, Honolulu
Advantage Rent-A-Car is probably the cheapest ticket around for a rental vehicle, but convenience and timeliness are not their strong points. Maybe that's what they threw in an extra colony of ants in the back of our minivan for free. I do admit that referring to it as a colony is an exaggeration, but it makes for a better story. Stay tuned for more insect adventures...

'Can I have the non-ocean view, please?'
Most people might think I am nuts but we ended up with a mountain-side view room at the Resort Quest Waikiki Sunset hotel - and I think I prefer this over a Waikiki ocean view any day of the week. Granted that this hotel is a few blocks north of the main Waikiki drag, but for me that is perfectly OK. We had a whole wall of window that faced north towards the mountains overlooking the Ala Wai Golf Course - OK, so there was a golf course so I am naturally biased but trust me, it was a beautiful view. The hotel is older but it is reasonably priced and clean. Being on the far east side of Waikiki, it is in close proximity to the zoo, Diamond Head Crater and Leonard's Bakery (see next snippet).

'Got Malasadas?'
Yum, yum, yum......yum, yum, yum, yum!

North Shore Love
I love the North Shore on Oahu. It is not Waikiki and that's why it is great. Less people, less traffic, less noise - my kind of place. My dream is to stay at Turtle Bay and play golf (which will not happen until I get rich). Noah and Rachel swam with sharks while I boldly stepped up to the plate and stayed behind to watch the kids, even though my Mom offered to watch them while we went out on the boat. Something about boats and sharks did not sit well with me, but Noah and Rachel had a great time. Adam, Lily, Nana (Mom) and I passed the time by going to the beach where we saw a sea turtle.

The North side also has a special place in my heart because of Laie. My grandpa Luteru was a labor missionary involved with the construction of what is now BYUH and he is buried in the small cemetery next to the Laie Temple. I also love to go to the PCC. There is really only 2 things you need to see at the PCC - the Samoan village and the night show. I never get tired of seeing these shows and I even got to meet the Samoan fire knife chief. His fire knife routine is awesome and I realized that I need to do a lot of practicing!

Star Sighting @ 30,000 ft.
OK, he is not a huge star but he was in a movie, and more importantly a movie that I like. The actor that played the grumpy old grandpa in 'The Whale Rider' was on our flight from Honolulu to Pago Pago, Am. Samoa. He, and a host of other people were on their way to Am. Samoa for the Pacific Arts Festival (which we did not know was happening). True to his Polynesian nature, he was cruising around the plane visiting with people barefoot!

The Pinnacle of our Trip
I think the greatest highlight of our trip was a gathering of the children of Patrick and Rozita Brighouse (and of course their children and so on). Tired and weary from travelling, we arrived in Apia, Samoa on July 18th. Being able to re-acquaint myself with the few I've met, and then to meet-anew those I have never before met was a cherished experience. With the availability of email and other such communication means, I pray that we will be able to stay in touch and have many other reunions. Special thanks to all the family members who worked so hard to organize the gatherings and events of the reunion, and to those who took care of us and made us feel welcome.

The Roach Coach
Our ant-ridden minivan was only a precursor on what was to come once we got to Apia. Mom rented a 15-passenger van for us to drive around the island but I can confidently tell you that this van held much more than 15 passengers. It seems that our rental had a family of roaches living in it and while they would scatter once you sat down, it was still un-nerving to know that they were there - just ask Rachel. After a visit to the car rental place, there were able to evict some of the critters but a few stubborn ones were still around, despite any bug chemicals used to persuade them to leave or die. Cockroaches really can survive just about anything.

Talking Story and Special Places
The roach-infested van could not stop us from driving around the island and visiting Nu'u where Mom grew up and all of the places Dad had lived in or served in as a missionary. It was wonderful to hear their stories and to actually associate a place with them. We also visited Sauniatu or the 'gathering place' in the early days of the Mormon church in Samoa. We went to Pesega to see the school and the rebuilt temple. We visited the graves of Grandpa Brighouse and other family members as well. Being able to see all this and hear it all first hand from Mom and Dad is an experience that runs a very close second to being able to meet all of the Brighouse family.

Old dog, old tricks
We often talk about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks, but we forget a more important point - can that old dog still remember the old tricks? Well, Dad proved he could has he showed us how to weave a basket from the leaves of the local plants when we went to the beach one day. Pretty good, Dad!
Parting Words
There are so many other things that could be blogged, but I will leave at that. In parting, I want to thank Mom and Dad for helping with the kids and making this a great trip. We did not make it over to Savaii this time, so my hope is that we will be able to do this again so that we can make more wonderful (and maybe a few not-so-wonderful) memories to cherish. Tofa soifua!

3 comments:

Julie and Pete said...

good to see all that junk about some lame book trumped with something important. And good to see you get some credit on the blog. Fight for equal rights.

pete

Kelly Mo said...

YAY! Another blogging buddy! Damon, I love your contributions. Keep it up. By the way, Andrew and I probably gained 5 pounds each eating malassadas while we lived in Hawaii. Boy, do I miss those!

Keira said...

My favorite bit was the cockroaches in the van. I'd be thinking it smart to rotate which bum cheek I sat on to limit contact with the car...

And they DO live forever.