This week has had its highs and lows. It seems we are so busy with life right now we don't know if we are coming or going. I think we managed to have two family meals together this week in the dining room. I think I am already looking forward to summer.The boys went back to school this week. Yippie! That was wonderful. I had to drag Noah out of bed Monday morning, but we all made it on time. I have 3 new piano students so life this week was a little crazy. I went to a baby shower. Watched two of my friends kids and ran lots of errands. Oh and on top of that I had a triathlon on Saturday!

Lily got a surprise on Friday from her Auntie Barb. Barb, who isn't actually an aunt, it's a Polynesian thing, used to come over and hold Lily until she fell asleep when Lily was a tiny baby. Auntie Barb made Lily this beautiful apron. Lily was so excited about it. She wore it all Friday afternoon.
Friday evening we headed up to Mortensen Manor to spend the night. It was only 20 minutes from the race so we felt like that would be easier than driving up from San Diego. I woke up early on Saturday morning and got ready for the race. It wasn't so bad. The first 150 yards of the swim were annoying due to the current.
I felt like I wasn't going anywhere. I have always talked to myself in my head when swimming and today's conversation went something like this. "Why are you doing this again? Sure they are fun, but do you really enjoy them? This is the last one. It has to be. Why am I so exhausted already? I haven't really done anything yet?" At this point I look up and realize I haven't even hit the first buoy. The conversation continues. "You better swim harder. You were a life guard and a swimmer for heaven's sake." Then, "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Swimming Swimming aaaaaah." I finally came out of the water and was so happy to see my sister was behind me. I never beat her at anything. She's ultra competitive when I am only so so. I was also very happy not to see any fish or dead fish.
I got a little stuck in the transition area. My sister left before me. That wasn't fun, but I got out and started on my new bike. That was so nice compared to my old one. I am still not the greatest biker, but it was a nice smooth ride until the end of the 12 miles. Then there is the longest, steepest hill I think I ever want to ride on. I must give credit where credit is due. I would like to thank my spin instructor who has pushed me in class and always makes us work hills. Close to the top I am telling myself, "I think I can. I think I can." My mouth is dry, my throat is dry, but I don't want to reach down and grab my water bottle because I am afraid of falling. Then I see the water station, but that too is on the monster hill and I don't want to stop to grab it. The next transition was easier. I just had to change shoes and grab my ipod. I was so excited to use it because most races you can't. It really helped me get in to my running rhythm. The run wasn't bad. My sister finished two minutes before me and was waiting at the finish line along with Damon and Noah.
We stuck around for my sister's husband, who was running the Olympic size, to finish. It was nice to finally be the one cheering everyone at the finish. I would like to thank Damon and Noah for coming and enduring endless boredom, for the most part, to support me in my crazy endeavors. I ended up placing 3rd in my division and 13th overall for women. My sister placed 2nd in her division. That was kind of exciting.
Next stop! Camp Pendleton.Happy Mother's day to all my friends who are mothers or who are future mothers. May you have a wonderful day this Sunday!


8 comments:
i am exhausted from reading that. i am going to go take a nap.
Great job Rachel. Your a stud! Happy Mother's Day.
Fun fun! Good seeing you today! Happy Mothers Day!
Way to go Rach!! You look great and you look like you do have fun!
I am amazed at your awesomeness. And seeing fish in the water would gross me out too...;0)
Wow - that is so cool. I keep thinking it would be so awesome to do that some day - I've never been the athletic type though - I thought I'd be in shape enough this summer - ha! We'll shoot for NEXT summer. A good friend of mine did her first one at 40 last year. Then she did two more and will do two more this summer! I love friends who inspire me. Good for you!!
Wow Rach, I can't even fathom being that athletic. I don't have an athletic bone in my body! Hopefully, my boys take after their dad! GREAT JOB!!!
We got water!!! I'm so relieved we can flush the toilet and shower! :)
Way to go, I don't think I could ever do that!
Post a Comment