There is going to be a lot of pictures. It was a super busy day.

We had quite the busy day today. It’s 10pm and we are just now getting in. It really was the most fun day. I enjoyed it and I think Damon did too. One of these days he will do a blog entry so everyone can hear is opinion of the trip.

This morning started out kind of frantic. It is a holiday so we were told by our hotel staff that everywhere would be closed. That made me a little nervous because I really wanted to rent a car today and go out to Neushwanstein. Our hotel staff told us yesterday that the car rental place next door was going to be closed. We found one downtown that was open, but wouldn’t be until 10am. That was a bit frustrating because we wanted to get an early start on the day. When we were leaving at 9:15am Damon suggested that we walk by the rental agency by the hotel. So we did and they just happened to be open. We got an Audi A6 wagon. Damon fell in love instantaneously. It had a Nav system in it and I think that made all the difference. After we figured out how to make her talk Enlish, we named her Helga.
Our trip out to Neushwanstein was amazing. The German countryside was absolutely amazing. It reminded us a lot of Oregon. It was very green and had lots of open land. There were quaint little towns with 1 church in each town.

We finally found Mad King Ludwig’s Castle. It lived up to everything that I read about it. The views were stunning. The lake was gorgeous and huge. The hike to get to the castle was invigorating. After the castle we headed to the Marion Bridge. I think that is where the best view of the castle came from. The bridge would move a little and that made me nervous. We hiked back down the mountain in 12 minutes even though it said 30. There was another castle that was across the street, but not quite as impressive. I believe my mother put it best when she said, “It’s amazing what one can do with unlimited credit and no responsibility.”
At the bottom we realized that we still had lots of time to kill. We decided to go for a drive and headed towards Salzburg!


I had to give up going to Oberammeragua, but when you are in Europe one just has to make choices like that. We typed in Salzburg city center into Helga and she directed us all the way there. We had 3 hours in Salzburg. We headed into the old town and just explored. We crossed the Salzach River. We saw Mirabella Park, St. Peter’s Church, Motzart’s houses, and memorial. I loved that. The alps were all around us. We had dinner at this little Italian resturaunt and then headed home.
Damon loved driving on the Autobahn. To tell you the truth, it made me a little nervous. I think the highest speeds Damon made it up to was 130ish miles an hour. It certainly makes one a little nervous going that fast. Secretly I think he wanted to drive this ...

We came home and just crashed. It was worth all the driving. We had an amazing day. The funniest thing happened when we got back to Munich and couldn’t figure out how to open the gas tank on the car. It was literally 10 minutes of pushing every button in the car and then trying to read the manual in German. I finally went in and asked the attendant, who came out and simply pushed in on the lid and it popped open. We silly Americans seem to make things more complicated than we need to.

Tomorrow is a day of traveling. I am already dreading it.
3 comments:
So amazing! Glad you went into Salzburg. Love the updates, keep them coming.
Ha! You ended up going to Salzburg. Aaron is way jealous of Damon for getting to drive on the Autobahn.
I loved going to the castle - aren't you just loving Germany? Sooo fun!
Post a Comment