We had a lot of driving to do today, but it was well worth it.
We left Rennes at about 8:30am this morning. We only got a tadbit lost. I blame Fleur, our French nav system. She had a hard time with the small things. She wasn't quite up to date as Helga.
We arrived at Mont. Saint Michele a little after 10am. I can always tell when Damon is amazed by something. He get very contemplative. I also know when he loves a place because he has to take photos every 5 steps. The only bummer about today was the grey sky. Mont Saint Michele was amazing though. Well worth the drive out to Normandy and the extra two days to the trip. The tour was great. I can't believe how old the building is. It was started in the late 900's. After the tour we strolled down the narrow cobblestone paths, grabbed a panini and went back to the car.
We drove to Bayeux next. There were two reasons for coming here. 1-it's near the D-Day beaches, 2-the Bayeux tapestry is here. For those who don't know what that is, may I suggest watching "Robin Hood, Prince of Theives" opening credits. They show it there. In this tapestry, that was made in the late 1000's, a story of the Duke of Normandy is told. William wants to be King of England after his cousin, King Edward dies. The story goes on to tell of William's domination over the Anglo-Saxon army. He eventual killed his competition and became king. The tapestry is amazing. There are so many small details on it. We couldn't take any pictures of it.
We also walked around this medieval town and visited the Cathedrel of Bayeux. It was very beautiful.
We just relaxed the rest of the afternoon. Our hotel was a little weird. Glad it is only for one night. Tomorrow we are going to the American Cemetary and then to Caen to catch the train for London. I am excited to be in the same city for more than 3 days.
Damon said this was his favorite picture of the day. So I put it in.
We left Rennes at about 8:30am this morning. We only got a tadbit lost. I blame Fleur, our French nav system. She had a hard time with the small things. She wasn't quite up to date as Helga.

3 comments:
So, I've actually been keeping up on the blog, but haven't signed in. Wow, what an amazing trip you are having, way jealous. I hope someday Dave and I can go while we are younger and can travel well.
Wow...what a an amazing vacation. I'm so glad that you've had such an incredible time and I can't wait to see all the pics and hear every detail! Enjoy the rest of your time...I know it goes by so fast.
That should be Damon's favorite picture from the day!
you guys have had quite the adventure! When do you get home?
Post a Comment