Thursday, May 20, 2010

Paris-Day 2


We woke up earlier than normal, 5am, this morning. Fortunately we both fell back asleep. I don't think our bodies know what time it is anymore. We got a little bit of a late start this morning. We were out late last night. The sun doesn't set until 9:30pm and we wanted to see the Champs all lit up. After grabbing a quick French breakfast, I don't think Damon is getting enough to eat, but I love it, we headed out
We went to the Bastille first. I have no idea what it is for, but there was a photo shop that Damon wanted to get to. Then we headed to the Eiffle Tower. It to is being renovated, but we made the most of it. We chose not to climb the tower and just enjoy the ground views. I don't know what draws me to architecture at all, but I can really admire all sorts of different buildings. We took a million pictures there. Damon decided that really old cities were supposed to be shot in black and white so that's what he did. While we took pictures a man on an accordian played pefect, old fashion, French music. It couldn't have been more perfect.

I kept the next destination a secret from Damon because I knew he would love it. I went to Sacre Coure the first time I came here, but didn't get to go inside because it had already closed. The views from the outside were amazing and the architecture in the inside was incredible. Damon wasn't quite as impressed when he found it it was built until 1875, but it still looks really cool. It kind of has a Byzintine look to it. Damon and I took humanities together at school and are starting to wish we paid more attention to class. We ate lunch on the steps and then climbed 300 stairs to get to the dome on the top. The views were quite impressive. I think we are done with stairs though.
We have conquered the subway system here. We joke because we say we need to go down to the subway to get fresh air. People aren't allowed to smoke down there. Today I saw a man smoking in the corner, which made me mad, but the when he turned his back and started to urinate I was really discusted. Then we laughed about it. Oh well. No matter what country you are in there are always the same type of people.
Our last stop before siesta (that is what I call Damon's down time) we headed to the Rodin Museum. Damon enjoyed it more than I thought he would. He took A LOT of pictures. I cruised through most of the statues because I knew what I was looking for. The marble statue that I wanted to see was the only real reason I wanted to go to the Rodin Museum. It's been my favorite for quite some time. When the Rodin Exhibit went on tour and came to BYU "The Kiss" was one of the pieces that was prohibited. I never really could understand why although I have my guesses. None of them having to do with the current university president. We don't need to go into that here. I finally found where "The Kiss" was and was just mesmorized by it. It is just beautiful and all encompassing. Before we left we went back to it one more time.
This is my next house. I loved the lawns and the house.

On the way back to the subway we ran into the ladies we met at dinner last night. They were headed to the Rodin Museum. What are the chances? Tonight we are headed back out late for a relaxing dinner and pictures of the Eiffle Tower all a glow. It's a good thing Damon is getting his nap:)

3 comments:

Julie and Pete said...

I'm so glad you're having a good time!! The pictures are wonderful. I hope Damon is enjoying this so you guys will go to Italy with us.

jlk said...

Ah yes, the infamous Kiss statue! One of my favorites, btw.

Looks like you're having the time of your life. One question though: How has Damon not aged? I mean, seriously!

Caroline said...

really? the kissing picture. eeww.